Australians have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world, with two in every three Australians developing some form of skin cancer before the age of 70! This makes sun protection a MUST for all Australians, all year round!
The culprit behind skin cancer is the Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, that can cause sunburn, skin damage, eye damage, premature ageing, and ultimately, skin cancer.
There are two types of UV radiation:
UVB - this radiation is called UV Burning
- Holds heat
- Heat can be felt on the skin
- Causes sunburn
- Most dangerous/strongest when the sun is high in the sky, between 11 am-3 pm
- Stronger in summer than winter
- Has a larger wavelength, so it is only able to penetrate the epidermal layers
UVA - is called the ‘silent killer’ or ‘UV Ageing’
- It does not hold heat
- Cannot be felt on the skin
- Does not cause sunburn, which means it is hard to know if we have had too much sun exposure
- UVA has the same strength all day - sunrise to sunset
- UVA strength is constant all year round, summer and winter - whether it's cloudy, rainy or sunny
- UVA's shorter wavelength enables radiation to penetrate the dermal layers of the skin (our deepest layers), causing it to break down our collagen and elastin fibres - leading to premature skin ageing.
All of Dermalogica's sunscreens are broad spectrum - which means they protect your skin from both types of UV rays.