Many factors can trigger hormonal adult acne.
- Hormonal imbalances
- Lifestyle (think alcohol, smoking, highly processed foods)
- Another common cause in the past few years has been chronic stress
What does hormonal adult acne look like and how to identify it?
Hormonal adult acne generally appears as red, large, painful, under the skin pimples, and also in the form of cysts.
The areas in which these breakouts appear are:
- Lower half of the face
- They can also be present on the chest and back
Where do I start to fix my hormonal adult acne?
With hormonal adult acne, the root of the cause is commonly associated with internal issues - in other words, your body is telling you something is not balanced in your inner health.
These can be seen through:
- Poor gut health
- Not eliminating your bowels
- Inefficient liver function
- Lack of nutrients
- Overproduction or underproduction of either estrogen or testosterone
Seeking guidance through a naturopath and receiving detailed blood tests of your hormones, nutrients, vitamins and minerals is one way to start fixing the cause of your acne (instead of just band-aiding it with medication or the contraceptive pill).
Seeing an experienced Skin Therapist that can put you on a personal tailored home regime and professional skin routine is also a must when dealing with hormonal adult acne.
Moreover, professional skin treatments will definitely help you and can consist of chemical peels, dermal needling, and healite treatments.